Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Panasports painted and new steering wheel

Justin went to the wrecker and found a momo steering wheel for me.  It was so much nicer than the factory wheel in terms of grip.  The rim on the old steering wheel was just too thin.
 It was around this time I decided to do something about the finish of my wheels.  I always wanted the gun-metal Watanabe wheels for my 1st gen, but they were way to pricy to bring in from Japan.  My Panasports had the right look (similar at least) but not the right color.

 When I got the Panasports, they had been sandblasted but not refinished.  They'd been sitting like that for quite some time so there was a bit of a build up on the surface.  I tried my best to clean it up, but all I had to work with was two pads of scotchbright.  I wore my finders to the bone and only got a mild polish on the lip.  I was originally planning on just spraying the entire wheel gun-metal, but Justin suggested it would look better with a polished lip.
 So, I polished them as best as I could and masked off the lip.

 Good ol' Nu-Cast Grey....great color, too bad it's out of production. 


 The raw wheel several months (maybe years) after sandblasting.
 This is the lip polished with a Scotchbrite pad.
 Then this is what it looked like after I spray-balmed it with Nu-Cast.

The wheels looked infinitely better.

1 comment:

  1. You did great on your wheels, man! :) The steering wheel looks nice in your car. The paint job made it look hot, even though it's quite a petite car. The wheels do look better than before. Great job!

    Mickey Doshi

    ReplyDelete